Parmigiano Reggiano is the original parmesan. It is made only in the legally identified area of registered dairy farms for Parmigiano Reggiano. The cheese is stored for a minimum of 18 months prior to grading. In Australia, cheesemakers have adopted the time-honoured process in making this renowned Italian cheese to produce Australian parmesan.
Parmesan is produced in large wheels. Well aged, it has a shiny, oiled rind which, when cut, reveals a dry, grainy and often crunchy texture.
A robust cheese, it has a slightly sweet, and slightly fruity flavour that lingers on the palate.
Selection and Storage
- Can be stored covered and refrigerated for months.
- Simply cut off any mould which may appear.
- The age of the parmesan will have a direct impact on the flavour and character of the cheese.
- Freezing is not recommended unless grated.
- Parmesan is a wonderfully versatile cheese.
- Serve as a table cheese with pears, apples or figs and almonds or walnuts.
- Shave onto a pizza or salad.
- Grate on pasta, lasagne or into soup.
- Grill on eggplant.
- Combine grated parmesan with bread crumbs to crumb meats and vegetables.
- Stir grated into risotto.
For more recipes with parmesan cheese, visit The Dairy Kitchen.